Of all the genealogy rooms/historical societies in our area, Lycoming County is my favorite. In no small part because they have the will books there, no need to visit the court house for old wills. But they also have a great staff, a great index, and a lot of family history books. The genealogical society is in the back of the Taber House Museum. Go to the desk and tell them you'd like to visit the genealogy room, there's a book to sign in, and they will direct you to the back. You can go to the website and see the resources they have, to plan out your trip before you go: http://www.lycominglineage.org/
As incredible as the Lycoming County Genealogical Society is, don't skip a visit to the James V. Brown Library. They have a genealogy room as well, with many great books and resources, including family histories and maps, that are not at the genealogy society. Be prepared - the room is locked. To be left in, go to the desk, present your drivers license, and they will unlock the room and let you in. http://jvbrown.edu/genealogy/
We have thousands of cemetery photos.
We have photographs of every readable stone in the all of Lycoming County except:
Muncy Cemetery, and a few up in the mountains that are very hard to reach!!!!
We also have Gregg Township in Union County, as it once was part of Lycoming County. This includes Alvira, Matthew Brown Plot, Pine Knot Lutheran and Washington Presbyterian.
Only a $1 donation for each by email.
Click here for more information." - http://www.lycominglineage.org/
TIP - Click on the Maps tab, and see where the cemetery is located. Use the gps numbers, removing the words longitude and latitude, paste them into a google map and get driving directions to the cemetery. And if you have a smartphone, check out the find a grave app, which is great for adding photos to entries while in the cemetery.
Plotts' Williamsport city directory, 1870-71 together with a business directory of Beech Creek, Beechwood, Bellefonte ... and Wilcox : to which is prefixed an introductory of useful information, including the rates for postage and internal revenue http://collection1.libraries.psu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/digitalbks2/id/19022
Revolutionary War Pensioners from the 1840 census -
1890 Veterans Schedules
Lycoming County PA Military Casualties
Korean & Vietnam Wars
WWII Dead & Missing
Civil War 3 months Service Soldiers
Civil War 3 Year Service
1883 Pensioners on Roll
Lycoming County Bios - Mainly from the book The History Of Lycoming County
- http://www.usgennet.org/usa/pa/county/lycoming/ A few years of the lycoming gazette are archived here, I am checking to see if these are also on newspapers.com
- http://usgwarchives.net/pa/lycomip.html There is quite the assortment of documents here. Census indexes (no ancestry subscription needed), some cemetery listings, some family histories...
- http://genforum.genealogy.com/pa/lycoming/ Genforum is a genealogy message board. The link above will take you to the Lycoming County message board. There's a search function to search the posts.
- http://www.lycominglineage.org/resources.htm Resource page for the Lycoming County Genealogical Society. Obits, Will index, and so much more.
- http://www.bloominggrovehistoricalsociety.org/2543.html Blooming Grove Historical Society
- http://www.muncyhistoricalsociety.org/ - Muncy Historical Society
Surnames I Am Researching In Lyoming County:
Henry Forney, Zebedee Ritter
Samuel Ritter 1799-1882
Johannes Philip Endy 1760-1842
Much of my Lycoming County Research is for my stepfathers line, and can be found on my "NOT Heather's Genealogy blog"- I like to keep my genealogy separate because it's less confusing, but I have done a lot of work on lines that are not actually mine.
His Paternal Lines
The Lewis Family - from England to Sullivan County to Lycoming County
Peter Arp & Anna Loudenslager - Born in Lycoming County PA
Brown Family - Came from England to Sullivan County, then Lycoming County
The Henry Family
The Zeigler Family
His Maternal Lines
James Williamson - thought to have come from Wales, to Philadelphia, to Lycoming County