Thursday, March 23, 2017

Henry Berger 1722-1792

Heather's Paternal 8th great grandparents

Heinrich Berger
son of
Born 06 January 1722 Germany
Died 29 December 1792 Berks County PA

Married

Anna Rosina Fohrer
Possibly the Daughter of  Johannes & Anna Marie  Forher
Born 1724 Berks County Pa
Died 22 Feb 1819 Berks County Pa

Children:
Elizabeth Berger 1748- M. Johannes Faust
John 1751
Catherine Berger 1753-  M. Peter Pontius
Henry Berger 1758-1820
Peter Berger 1755-

Rosina Berger M. Kriechbaumin


1738 - Immigrated to America
Immigration: 1738 Port of Philadelphia
Ship: Enterprise 

1748 Married Anna Rosina Fohrer
Married: 3 Apr 1748 Tulpehocken, Berks County 
Anna Rosina Fohrer

Name: Jeinrich Berger
Event: Marriage
Marriage Date: 3 Apr 1748
Marriage Place: Tulpehocken, Berks Co., PA
Church: Pastoral Records of John Casper Stoever
Role: Groom
Household Members:
Name Role
Jeinrich Berger Groom

Anna Rosini Fohrer Bride

Name: Heinrich Berger
Event Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 3 Apr 1748
Marriage Place: Conewago, Adams, Pennsylvania, USA
Denomination: Dutch Reformed
Organization Name: Dutch Reformed Church Records\John Casper Stoever Ministerial Records

Spouse: Anna Rosia Fohrerin

"This Johannes Furrey (or Forrer), was blessed with two sons and two daughters, MichaelJohnRosina ,wife of Henry Berger and Catherine, wife of Leonard Emrick. In 1765 the land was granted to his son, Michael, and on September 9th, 1765, the land was released by his brother, John. "HISTORY of JOHONNES FURRY, (OR FORRER) AND HIS DESCENDANTS TO THE END OF THE EIGHTH GENERATION AS COMPILED BY HENRY S. FURRY 1910-11 Reading, PA. 

1748- Daughter Elizabeth is Baptized
Name: Elizabeth Berger
Event: Baptism
Baptism Date: 22 Dec 1748
Baptism Place: Berks Co., PA
Church: Blue Mountain Church - Upper Tulpehocken Township
Role: Baptized
Household Members:
Name Role
Mrs. ??? Aueenbach Sponsor
Andrew Aueenbach Sponsor
Mrs. ??? Berger Mother
Elizabeth Berger Baptized
Henry Berger Father

Elizabeth married Johannes Faust, who served in the Revolutionary War.

1751 - Son John is Baptised
Baptism Apr 1751 Zion's Blue Mountain Church, Strausstown, Berks County, Pennsylvania

The "Fory"s in this record are very likely Anna Rosina's parents - grandparents of John.

Name: Henry Berger
Event: Baptism
Residence Date: 1 Apr 1751
Residence Place: Berks Co., PA
Church: Blue Mountain Church - Upper Tulpehocken Township
Role: Father
Household Members:
Name Role
Mrs. ??? Berger Mother
Henry Berger Father
John Berger Baptized
Mrs. ??? Fory Sponsor

John Fory Sponsor

1753 - Daughter Anna Catharine is Baptised
 Catharine Berger married Peter Pontious and is Heather's paternal 7th great grandparents.  Read more about them here: http://heathersgen.blogspot.com/2014/02/pvt-peter-pontious-1747-1835.html

Baptism 27 May 1753 Zion's Blue Mountain Church, Strausstown, Berks County, Pennsylvania
Married 1 Apr 1783 Christ's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Marion Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania

1754- Residence


About 1755 - Son Peter Is Born
Peter, husband of Elizabeth Reber, d/o Joh Conrad Reber & Anna Margaret Conrad
Born about 1755

About 1758- Son Henry is Born
Born 14 Aug 1758 (unverified)

1761 - Henry Berger is Naturalized



Denizations and Naturalizations in the British Colonies in America, 1607-1775

1766 - Daughter Rosina Is Born
Rosina, wife of George Krichbaum, s/o William Krichbaum & Anna Barbara Rettich
Baptism 07 Dec 1766 Zion's Blue Mountain Church, Strausstown, Berks County, Pennsylvania

Married 30 Sep 1791 Christ's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Marion Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania

Name: Henry Berger
Event: Baptism
Residence Date: 7 Dec 1766
Residence Place: Berks Co., PA
Church: Blue Mountain Church - Upper Tulpehocken Township
Role: Father
Household Members:
Name Role
Mrs. ??? Berger Mother
Anna Rosina Berger Baptized
Henry Berger Father
Mrs. ??? Munch Sponsor

George Munch Sponsor

1768 - Tax List
Again there is a George & a Henry Berger in the records 

1776 - Henry Berger on Petit Juror Rolls
I'm uncertain if this is Henry Sr, or his son Henry.

#68 - bottom right

1777-  Henry Berger in Revolutionary War Rolls (Most likely SON)

There is a Henry Berger who served in the Revolutionary War.  Considering this Henry's age, I assume it is a record for his SON Henry.

1779 -  Census
There is a Henry Berger, and a George Berger, listed in Bethel Twp, Berks County Pa.

1790 Census
The 1790 census shows George, Peter, And Henry



1792 - Probate

Last Will and Testament

Bethel Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania
Written: December 17th 1792

In the Name of God amen. I HENRY Berger in Bethel Township Berks County and State of Pennsylvania Farmer being at present old and infirm in Body but thanks to God of sound Mind and having taken into Consideration the Mortality of my Body and knowing that it is decreed that all Men shall once die do therefore make and ordain this as my last Will & Testament. That is to say First I recommend my Soul into the Hands of God who gave it to me hoping a Joyful Resurrection through the Merits of my Savior Jesus Christ and my Body I recommend to the Earth to be buried in a Christian like Manner, and concerning my Wordly Estate with which it has pleased God it bless me in this Life I give and bequeath it as follows.

First It is my Will and I do ordain that my Just Debts and funeral Charges be paid as soon as possible after my Decease.

Item. I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife ROSINA Berger yearly as long as she lives Twelve Bushels of Wheat Three Bushels of Rye, and this grain must be taken to the Mill and the Meal & Bran must be fetched again and brought to the House where she lives. The wood which she may want for baking must be cut and carried to the Bake Oven and a fat Hog which is to weigh One hundred fifty Pounds shall be cleaned and emboweled. the Bowels to belong to her and forty pounds of Beef and this must be well salted by Peter Berger with his own Salt, and the half of the Kitchen Garden which must be manured & ploughed as his own and seven Bushels of Potatoes and the Right to fetch Apples for her own Use from any part of the Orchard and my fetch or cause to be fetched Cyder whenever she pleases from the Casks out of which he draws and the Priveledge to go to every part of the House Cellar and Spring House – and Twelve Pounds of hatcheld Flax and Twelve Pounds of Tow and four Pounds of wool and to keep a Cow with his Cattle winter & Summer and where his own Cows go, and if he does not feed the Cow well she has a Right to take another whichever she pleases in Spring every Year half a Bushel of fine Salt and three Gallons of Whiskey and every Fall a (fat meaning full) Bee Hive and a new pair of Shoes and a pair to be soled and eight pounds of Tallow for Candles and a Quarter of a Pound of Pepper & Allspice and a Quarter of Ginger and to have her Cloth woven free. And if she goes upon a Visit to take Care of her Things as if his own, and to pay her attention (or nurse her) or cause it to be done in every Respect when it may be necessary and if he should be too hard towards her so that she can not stay with him She may go to another and he must bring her every Thing before mentioned to her Dwelling Yearly and fire wood he must give and cut for her for her use as much as she may want.

I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Rosina Berger Three Chests with all the contents and a Kitchen CupBoard (or Dresser) with all that is in and upon it belonging to us—And two Beds that belong to us and Iron pots and to say the whole Household furniture which we have now in use And all the Money that is here in Cash or in Bonds & notes This all she shall have to her use as long as she lives and after her Death the Remainder shall be divided amongst my Children in equal Shares—with this Condition nevertheless that should she marry again she shall have nothing else or take nothing with her but her Cloaths. This is my will & Testament.

Item. I give and bequeath unto my beloved Son HENRY Berger forty Shillings first & foremost. This is my will & Testament
Item. I give and Bequeath unto my beloved Son PETER Berger my Plantation situate in Bethel Township Berks County where I now live there are not quite Two hundred Acres with all the Appurtenances Buildings Water & Water Courses (or Rights) and wood together with all the personal Estate except what is bequeathed to the Mother to him and his Heirs for ever upon the Condition that he pays his Geschwister four hundred and fifty Pounds Gold or Silver Money as is now current in Pennsylvania viz& to his Sister ELIZABETH FAUSTIN One hundred and fifty pounds Good money but of those hundred and fifty Pounds Eight and twenty Pounds shall fall back to PETER Berger which he (meaning Foust) owes me and those eight and twenty Pounds I give to PETER Berger and after my Decease the said PETER Berger shall pay to his Sister CATHERINE Ponzius the sum of Twenty five Pounds upon the first of May next, but I authorize my Son PETER Berger to deduct the Book Debt from the first Payment. Next May afterwards he shall pay to his Sister ROSINA Kriechbaumin the Sum of Twenty five Pounds and the May following that to his Sister ELIZABETH Faustin and so on until they are paid –viz& every Year a Bond- This is my will & Testament.

Item. I give and bequeath unto my beloved Son PETER a Bond of Sixty Pounds in Money this is my will & Testament.

Item. And lastly I name and constitute PETER Berger & Henry Berger Executors of this my last will & Testament and hereby make void all other Testaments by me heretofore made and confirm this and no other as my last will & Testament. In Testimony whereof - I HENRY Berger Senior have signed this with my own Hand and confirmed it with my Seal the 17th Day of December in the Year of our Lord One Thousand seven hundred & ninety two.

Signed Sealed and published by the Henry HB Berger
said HENRY Berger Senior as his will his mark
& Testament in Presence of us—

George Berger translated by Jno Spayd
George Poncius


Burial
Zion Church Cemetery, Strausstown, Berks County, Pennsylvania, USA
Hier ruhet · Henrich Berger war · gebo. de. 6 Janua. 1723 · u Starb de. 29 Dece. · 1792 · Seines Alter 68 Jah · 11 Mo 3 Wo 3 Tag





Research:

I see researchers stating that George William (Jeorge Wilhem) is the father of Henry, but George's will makes that seem unlikely.

Berger, Geörg Wilhelm: Last Will and Testament

Tulpehocken Township, Berks County
Published 6/15/1759
Proved 11/26/1767
Heirs: Berger, Wirth
Other names: Bar, Lang, Reber

In the Name of God Amen, the fifteenth Day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and fifty nine I George William Berger of Tulpehocken Township in the County of Berks wheelright, being in good health in body and of perfect mind and memory thanks be given unto God therefor, but nevertheless calling unto mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die, I make and ordain this my Last Will and Testament; That is to say principally, and first of all, I give and recommend my Soul into the Hands of God that gives it, and for my Body I recommend it to the Earth, to be buried in a Christian like and decent manner, at the discretion of my Executer nothing doubting but at the General Resurrection I shall receive the same again by the Mighty Power of God. And as touching such worldly estate, wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this Life, I give, devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form.
Impremis it is my Will, and I do order, that in the first place, all my just Debts and Funeral Charges be paid and satisfied.
Item. I give and bequeath unto my beloved son John Herwert my Improvement to him his heirs and assigns forever. Situate in the said Township of Tulpehocken on adjoining Jeremeas Bar Land together with my apparel and Chest.
Item I give and bequeath unto my beloved Daughter Juliana my bed clothes and my old chest.
Item I give and bequeath unto my beloved son John Herwert and my beloved Daughter Juliana my utensils or Household stuff to be divided into two equal shares to them or their Heirs or representatives because my beloved Son John Christ has received such before hand.
Item what touching my obligations or Bonds, Cash notes or Money, I dispose of the same in manner following: I give thereof unto my Son John Herwert twenty four pounds and to my daughter Juliana twenty four pounds and unto my grandchild George William Wirth four pounds or their heirs or representatives. The residue of my Bonds, Cash notes, or money to be divided into three equal shares, unto my children John Christ, John Herwert, and Juliana or their heirs, executors, administrators or representatives.
Item my beloved friend Nicholas Long is to take care of the four pounds given unto my grand child and put it out on interest until he is of age.
Item I do constitute make and ordain my beloved Son John Herwert my only and sole Executor of this my Last Will and Testament and I do hereby utterly disallow, revoke and disannul all and every former Testaments, Wills, Legacies, and Executors by me in any way before this time Named, Willed and Bequeathed. Ratifying and confirming this, and no other, to be my Last Will and Testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my Hand and Seal the day and year first above written.
Geörg Wilhelm Berger
Signed, Sealed, Published, Pronounced and Declared by the said George William Berger as his Last Will and Testament in the presence of us the Subscribers
Nickel Lang
Georg Räber 
Conrad Räber

No comments:

Post a Comment

Almeda Lucretia Lumbard 1842-1911

Is this possibly the sister of Joseph Lumbard, who was from Danville & came to visit?? In reading this, I always thought it meant that ...