Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Truckenmiller Mill

The Truckenmiller Mill

Find our Truckenmiller Lineage Here:


in the Watsontown Record and Star Silver Anniversary Edition.
Picture below the mill is Valentine Truckenmiller











The Truckenmiller Mill Dam in 1910

“EARLY INDUSTRIES
 
   Daniel Vincent, from Essex county, New Jersey, built a mill on
Warrior run, one of the first mills in the northern part of the county.
This was a log building, and was replaced in 1792 by a stone structure.
The Truckenmiller mill and the old Wilson mill, also on Warrior run,
were established at a later date. Alexander Guffy had a distillery in
operation prior to 1800, and several establishments of a similar
character have since been conducted by different individuals. An
equally important industry was the ashery of a Mr. Harrison, where
potash, soda, and other products of ashes were manufactured. The
proprietor opened a road from his establishment to the Susquehanna
river; it received the name of "the Potash road," which still retains
local significance. In recent years a tannery was operated by Jacob
Stitzel, but at the present time, so far as the industrial interests of
the township are concerned, Delaware is best described as an agricultural
region.”

From: History of Northumberland Co., PA - Chapters 27-32
CHAPTER 32 - Pages 752-764

Q:341 Rec 29 Apr 1811: Jacob TRUCKENMILLER purchased mill from David Hunter & his wife Issabella 25 Apr 1811, both of Turbot Twp. Land situated on Warrior Run in Turbot Twp. Land recovered in Court of Commons by Alexander Stephan 03 Jan 1797, a parcel of 300+ acres, land formerly owned by Wm. Shae, Evan Rive Evans? Book K p.319 : 06 Apr /30 Jan 1805? Judgement was not settle the Shireff sold to David Hants Deed Book N:239 Evan Rice Evans & David Watts 08 June 1810, granted to David Hunter Book Q:140 Jacob TRUCKENMILLER paid $11054.50. Land by Evan R. Evans & David Watts, John Quigly, David W. Knight, Hezehial Morris, Henry Thunchweiler, John Cathcarts, Containing 239 Acres 145 perches. Witness" Isaac Vincent & David Rittenhouse. Northumberland County, Pa.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I am researching my Vincent and Watson families of Watsontown, Northumberland County. Currently, I've been trying to find records of their service in the War of 1812. Isaac Vincent, who you have mentioned on the last line of this post, served in a cavalry, under a David Rittenhouse, also mentioned on that line.

    I'm wondering if you have any other records that might mention my Vincent or Watson family members? Are the pages you are showing from a Truckenmiller book?

    Thank you! And, thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know why I often miss these messages - and I hope that you can see my reply, even though it's over a year late! There is no Truckenmiller book that I am aware of, although I'm working on one. Everything here is just assorted research.

      Delete
  2. Hello, from a distant Truckenmiller cousin. I've newly added this line to my 2 x's great grandmother, Sarah Sally Hill (Davis). All roads point to Jacob T. Hill and Mary Ann as Sarah's parents. Jacob T Hill is son of Susannah Truckenmiller and Daniel Hill. (Lycoming and Northumberland counties, PA.
    What for many years has stumped me about my Sarah Sally Hill is her parentage And Ethnicity. She died young, like her mother Mary Ann, not long after losing a child, named Osceola. Intuitively I've wondered about Sarah's ethnicity. Now I've located an 1850 census record which could be Sarah's mother, Mary Ann Hill in Milton, Northumberland, PA. She is listed as black. Ancestry dot com lists my dna composition to include 0.9% N.Africa (abt 200+ years ago a full blooded African ancestor.)
    I know how hard it can be to track another person's (nutshell) lineage, and just thought I would put this out to you.
    I enjoyed your blog very much! Thank you.
    Lani Dundore in Torrey Utah

    ReplyDelete

Almeda Lucretia Lumbard 1842-1911

Is this possibly the sister of Joseph Lumbard, who was from Danville & came to visit?? In reading this, I always thought it meant that ...