Born abt 1749
Died abt 1804
"of german ancestry"
Born 1752 in Lehigh County Pa
Maria Mary (m. Peter Rishel)
Barbara 1773-1807, m. Francis Reese
Elizabeth 1775- m. Edward Morrison
Catharine 1776-1866 m. Christian Mauser
Magdalena 1790-1849 m. Christian Diehl
Whereas Joseph Sechler of the County of hath requested to take up Four Hundred acres of land aboove and adjoining land granted to Abraham Devitt & adjoining on the south side of Towarndia Creek
In the county of Northumberland (provided the same land is purchased of the Indians) for which he agrees to pay immediately into the office of the Receive General for the?? of this state, at the rate of ten pounds per a hundred acres, in gold, silver, paper money of this state, or certificates, agreeable to an act of assembly, passed the first day of April 1784 interest to commence, from the state hereof, THESE are therefor to authorize and equire you to Survey of case to be surveyed until the laid Joseph Sechler at the palce aforesaid according to the method of townships appointed, the laid quantity of acred, if not already survedyed, as appropriared and to make return thereof into thesecretarys office, in order for confirmation, for which this shall be your warrant.
In witness whereof, the honorable James Ewing Esq, Vice President of the Supremem Executive Council, hath hereunto let his hand and cased the seal of the faid commonwealth to be affixed the first day of July in the year of 1784
Jacob Sechler was but six years old when his father died. He had grown to manhood at the time of his uncle’s death, and continued on the farm as its manager and part owner, he having inherited a part of it from his father, and also received by his uncles’ will, his share of the property. He remained a resident there continuously until his death, Dec. 13, 1869, when he had attained to the ripe old age of seventy years. There also he was married and his children were born. His wife was formerly Miss Elizabeth Mench, who was born in the same county as her husband, and was the daughter of Abraham Mench, of German ancestry, and a native of Berks County, Pa. She died on the old home farm in Montour County. She had, like her husband, resided in three different counties without changing her location.
The parents of our subject had ten children, nine of whom grew to man and womanhood. Joseph was the second child and eldest son. When of suitable years, he commenced attending school during the winter season, and was employed on the farm the balance of the time until reaching his majority. Afterward he attended the High School at Danville, and was engaged in teaching one year. In 1855 he left his native State and came to Illinois, reaching Freeport November 13, and soon afterward secured a position as clerk in a general store at Orangeville. Here he was employed the greater part of the following six or seven years. In the meantime he employed his leisure moments in studying and preparing himself for the ministry. The denomination of his choice was the Reformed Church of the United States, in which he commenced preaching as a supply at Cedarville and Lancaster, in 1860. He continued his pious labors for five years, and was obliged to abandon them on account of throat trouble. He afterward engaged in mercantile pursuits at Lena, where he continued until 1882. He then resumed preaching until 1885, when he was appointed a traveling agent of the College of Northern Illinois, and was thus engaged for eighteen months, in the meantime visiting from Michigan to Pennsylvania. When this contract had terminated he resumed his labors in the ministry, and now preaches at Damascus and Harlem Center regularly.
The marriage of Rev. Joseph Sechler and Miss Mary Hartzel took place Oct. 5, 1847. The wife of our subject is a native of Northampton County, Pa., and the daughter of John and Maria (Andrews) Hartzell, both natives of Pennsylvania. Her paternal grandfather was John Hartzell, of Northampton County, and her great-grandfather, Christian Hartzell, of Swiss ancestry, was a native of Switzerland County, Pa., whence he removed to Northampton County during its early settlement, securing a tract of land along the banks of the Delaware, where he cleared a farm and spent the remainder of his life. His wife was the daughter of Frederick and Magdalena (Butz) Andrews. The Butz family were of German origin, and the descendants of both families were widely and favorably known throughout the counties of Bucks and Northampton.
Our subject and his wife became the parents of three children, two now living, namely, Ermina E., who married William Crotzer, a resident of Lena, and Maria Margaret, the wife of A. S. Crotzer.
Contributed by Carol Parrish - Portrait and Biographical Album of Stephenson County, Ill. (1888), p. 296
HARMON S. MORRISON, farmer and stock grower, P. O. Danville, was born in Mahoning Township, September 12, 1827, a son of Edward and Elizabeth (SECHLER) MORRISON, the latter a native of Mahoning Township. His father, a native of New Jersey, was born September 19, 1791, and at the age of twelve years came to Mahoning Township, and by occupation was a farmer and cooper. He was a soldier of the war of 1812, and his death occurred in 1868. Harmon S. is the sixth in a family of nine children, was reared in his native township on the far, and attended the common schools. At the age of eighteen he began to learn the mason's trade, at which he served a three years' apprenticeship, and made the trade his occupation for twenty years, engaging also in farming. In 1870 he was appointed foreman of the construction of the brick and stone works at the State asylum near Danville, which position he yet holds, and also superintends his farm which is situated near by. In 1850 he married Martha ICKES, of German-Irish origin, and a daughter of Michael ICKES, of Snyder County, Penn., and they became the parents of four children: Margaret, John, Eugene and William. John having lost his wife lives with his father with two children (twins): Walter and Harmon S. Mrs. MORRISON's death occurred February 7, 1887, aged fifty-eight years. She was a Christian woman being a member of the Lutheran Church. Mr. MORRISON and all the children are members of the Lutheran Church, in which he is an elder. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and a member of order of P. of H., and politically is a Republican. Edward MORRISON, the grandfather of our subject, and Sarah LUCAS, his wife (the latter a Quakeress), were born in the same year, 1753, were married in 1775 and lived in the State of New Jersey where all their children (three sons: William, John and Edward, and two daughters, Anna and Sarah) were born. The maternal grandfather of our subject, Joseph SECHLER, and his wife, Elizabeth, whose maiden name was STUMP, came from Montgomery County, Penn., over 100 years ago to the town of Northumberland. When Danville was yet a small village in Northumberland County they moved to the latter place and purchased 600 acres of land east of the town-Bloom road being the northern boundary of the place for two miles out of town-at two shillings and sixpence per acre. Their children have lived to see some of this original land sold at $225 per acre. Mr. MORRISON's farm is a part of this original purchase. Other small parts of it are yet in the hands of the great-grandchildren.("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Mahoning Township Battle 1887 pg. 213)
The 1749 George Stumpf family in the LeHigh Valley N.E. Berks Co. Pa
SAMUEL MORRISON, retired farmer, Danville, was born November 3, 1821, a son of Edward and Elizabeth (SECHLER) MORRISON. He was born and reared on the farm where he now resides and which has been in the possession of the SECHLER and MORRISON families over 100 years. His father was a native of new Jersey, of Scotch origin (whose mother, Sarah LUCAS, was a Quakeress of English origin), a farmer, and a soldier in the war of 1812. He died in 1868 aged seventy-six years, and had come to Montour County when twelve years old. His wife was a native of Mahoning Township and of German origin. Her father, Joseph SECHLER was an early settler of Danville, having come here when it was only a small village and purchased 600 hundred acres east of Danville at two shillings and sixpence per acre. Samuel MORRISON is the fifth in a family of nine children; was reared on the farm, and from his youth up engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was educated at home, his father paying a teacher for the purpose. His farm is a beautiful one, well improved, and most of his money has been made by dealing in stock and selling milk. In 1852 he married Hannah, daughter of Daniel MOURER, a farmer and of German origin. Mrs. MORRISON died in June, 1885, a member of the Lutheran Church and the mother of the following children: James, married; Anna, wife of Jonathan Rudy, and Wooward. Mr. MORRISON is a member of the Episcopal Church; politically a Democrat, and has held several township offices.("History of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania" Mahoning Township Battle 1887 pg. 212)
Maria Mary (m. Peter Rishel), Jacob 1771-1869, Barbara (Froney? 1773-1807, m. Francis Reese), Elizabeth (1775- m. Edward Morrison), Catharine (1776-1866 m. Christian Mauser), Magdalena (1790-1849 m. Christian Diehl).