Thursday, July 18, 2019

Our Scottish Roots - Theories and Guesses



Our son is attending the highland games this year, and he wanted to know if we have any Scottish roots.  My answer was Yes!  And then I realized that it's more assumption than proven surety.  So here is what I know, and what I suspect.  Hopefully someday I will be able to prove more!

Our DNA tests, both mine and Dan's, show a good bit of "England, Wales, and Northwestern Europe.  This does indeed included Scotland, but it is not conclusive.

This area makes up 50-64% of my DNA.  My moms results are similar, slightly less for her. (My Follin and Hurst lines are through my father, they are though to be Irish and British...)

It makes 37-47% of Dan's DNA.

By Surname:

Hutchinson (Dan's Maternal Line) - Reported to be Scottish, other researchers state that Joseph Hutchinson's parents lived in Scotland, But I have not yet documented this myself.

McLoughlan (Heather's Maternal Line)  - There are mentions of Ishi McCloughan  being Scottish - but I have no documentation.  The man is a bit of a mystery all around.  The name could just as easily be Irish.

McKean (Dan's Maternal Line)- It's possible this line is Scottish, but I suspect it is Irish.  Our McKean Line.

Strayhorn (Heather's Maternal Line) - Again thought to be Scottish, but could be Irish!  Unproven either way.




This is a clan map of Scotland, none of our known Surnames appear on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Almeda Lucretia Lumbard 1842-1911

Is this possibly the sister of Joseph Lumbard, who was from Danville & came to visit?? In reading this, I always thought it meant that ...